Washing my new filtered mask
Masks have been at the forefront of people’s minds for the last year due to the pandemic. Sterilization, washing, sanitization, cleaning, and disinfection have all become trendy words.
KandyMask is a reusable, washable, filtered mask tested with 99% plus filtration efficiency.
I recommend you wash the mask to ensure you extend its protective capabilities.
To understand how to clean KandyMask, you need to understand masks and the filtration protection each has.
Disposable Medical Mask
- Is used by doctors to protect themselves from infectious diseases. These masks are effective for your respiratory protection. They are meant to be used once and are not washable.
- Is meant to protect others from your droplets but not you from others. These masks don't use the correct filtration materials. It offers little to no protection for the wearer’s respiratory system. The materials do not effectively catch small particles. They are meant to be reusable and can be machine-washed because it doesn’t contain the proper mask filtration materials.
- Is used to protect patients from doctors and not the doctor from infectious diseases. The masks are effective in safeguarding others against you but less effective in protecting your respiratory system. They are meant to be used once and are not washable.
KandyMask (Hybrid Filtered Mask)
- We use the melt blown polypropylene in the inner layers. The outside layers are made of cloth microfibres that protect the effective professional-grade inner layers. Our valveless mask is meant to protect the wearer’s respiratory system from airborne contaminants and protect others from your droplets. Our mask is reusable and can be hand-washed.
Why does KandyMask need to be hand washed?
Our professional-grade filtration material is a paper-like surface. It has millions of intertwined fibers high-grade pressed together that make it effective. Hand washing helps maintain the effectiveness and structural integrity of the filter materials. The filter is not as delicate as paper, so you don’t need to worry about ripping it or puncturing it when you wash it by hand. Placing it in the washing machine may damage the filtration materials and lose some effectiveness.
Here is a short video and steps to wash your new KandyMask.
- Pour warm water into a small bowl and place it in the sink.
- Prepare some foamy hand soap (we will explain hand soap later)
- Dip a damp cloth into the water or your clean fingers and place a small amount of soap on the mask. Gently massage the entire inner and outer surface of the mask with a damp rag or hands. The gentle massaging will help bring to the surface dirt, make-up, sweat, and germs. We find that cloth against cloth cleans better but using your hands is also totally fine.
- After cleaning the mask gently rinse the mask under warm water to rinse away the soap and germs down the drain.
- Hang your mask up to dry
Our preference is hand soap to wash the mask
We prefer to use foaming hand soap to wash our KandyMask because it is the softest of soaps but any hand soap is fine. Hand soap is using made from natural ingredients and detergent is usually made from chemicals. We are putting the masks on our face after all so we want to reduce the amount of chemical we breathe in.
Check out this interesting video below. The science would also apply to cleaning a mask with hand soap.
Does KandyMask have replaceable filters that can be washed?
When you wear KandyMask there is no replaceable filter that can be changed. Our entire mask acts as the filter. The professional-grade filters are sewn into the inner layers of the mask all the way up to the seams.
We don’t believe in masks with replaceable filters because it could create unprotected gaps in the mask. Sewing the right filtration materials right up to the seams provides the wearer the most complete protection.
I want to be extra careful and sanitize my KandyMask
For those that want to take even extra precautions, we can offer you a mask sanitization solution. After or before washing your masks you can place your KandyMasks in our UVC box. Our UVC light has been proven to sanitize anything you put in the box. You can find more information about the KandyMask UV Mask Sanitizer Pro 100 here.
Stay protected and stay vigilant
Wearing a KandMask is a great tool for taking your respiratory protection to the next level. Remember that wearing KandyMask is just one of the tools to protect yourself. It is not a complete replacement for proper hygiene and social distancing.